Express Telecoms is a ecommerce website customized for MTN cell phone contract applications on checkout.
What is HTML, CSS, JQuery, PHP, Javscript, ASP and all the rest.
Is it all getting a bit confusing?
Well basically in layman’s terms the are all programming languages in which websites are built in.
Below are some more in depth explanations from the W3C website to explain what these various languages do.
HTML (the Hypertext Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) are two of the core technologies for building Web pages. HTML provides the structure of the page, CSS the (visual and aural) layout, for a variety of devices. Along with graphics and scripting, HTML and CSS are the basis of building Web pages and Web Applications. Learn more below about:
What is HTML?
HTML is the language for describing the structure of Web pages. HTML gives authors the means to:
- Publish online documents with headings, text, tables, lists, photos, etc.
- Retrieve online information via hypertext links, at the click of a button.
- Design forms for conducting transactions with remote services, for use in searching for information, making reservations, ordering products, etc.
- Include spread-sheets, video clips, sound clips, and other applications directly in their documents.
- PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- PHP is a widely-used, open source scripting language
- PHP scripts are executed on the server
- PHP is free to download and use
- ASP stands for Active Server Pages
- ASP is a Microsoft Technology
- ASP is a program that runs inside IIS
- IIS stands for Internet Information Services
- IIS comes as a free component with Windows 2000
- IIS is also a part of the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
- The Option Pack can be downloaded from Microsoft
- PWS is a smaller - but fully functional - version of IIS
- PWS can be found on your Windows 95/98 CD
With HTML, authors describe the structure of pages using markup. The elements of the language label pieces of content such as “paragraph,” “list,” “table,” and so on.
What is XHTML?
XHTML is a variant of HTML that uses the syntax of XML, the Extensible Markup Language. XHTML has all the same elements (for paragraphs, etc.) as the HTML variant, but the syntax is slightly different. Because XHTML is an XML application, you can use other XML tools with it (such as XSLT, a language for transforming XML content).
What is CSS?
CSS is the language for describing the presentation of Web pages, including colors, layout, and fonts. It allows one to adapt the presentation to different types of devices, such as large screens, small screens, or printers. CSS is independent of HTML and can be used with any XML-based markup language. The separation of HTML from CSS makes it easier to maintain sites, share style sheets across pages, and tailor pages to different environments. This is referred to as the separation of structure (or: content) from presentation.
What is PHP?
PHP is a server scripting language, and is a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive Web pages. PHP is a widely-used, free, and efficient alternative to competitors such as Microsoft's ASP.
What is ASP?
Are you in cabable hands?
There are many other scripting languages etc. as well as many variations html, css, php and all thes languages, however if your developer knows what he is doing he will know which of all these languages to use to best suit your needs.